Sunday, June 16, 2013

Two of a Kind


     Our next appointment came on January 31st (11 weeks along).  This appointment was special to us...we got to hear 2 sweet heartbeats for the first time.  The sound of their hearts beating brought me to tears.  After being convinced that I would never experience this moment, I was overwhelmed with God's love for me and my husband.  As any parent can tell you, hearing the beat of your baby's heart is such a comforting and exciting sound.  If they would have let me, I think I would have laid on that bed listening to the heartbeats of my two miracle babies all day long!  But, of course our time was up in the ultrasound room and it was on to meeting with the doctor.  Her report was good.  Both babies were growing at a normal rate, their heart rates were at a normal rate, and I was looking good.  So, we left this appointment feeling confident and excited.
     We continued meeting with my doctor every 4 weeks. The next appointment checked in with good results again:)  Then, March 29th came around for our next appointment.  I was 19 weeks at this point.  This was a big appointment and big day for us as it would be revealed to us the genders of our babies.  I know Brad was really hoping for 2 boys.  I was hoping for one of each.  The anticipation was building as the sonographer checked the growth and development of Baby A.  Of course I wanted to hear that everything was progressing as expected, but I was so ready to hear boy or girl!  Finally, she got to the reproductive anatomy scan and she was able to tell us...it's a BOY!!  Yay! Brad was going to at least have one son to carry on the Alsup name. 




    
     Next, was the scan on Baby B.  Again development was within normal limits.  And the reproductive anatomy scan showed...it's a BOY!!  Wow! Two boys!  I looked over at Brad and he was all smiles and tears of happiness.  Then, we were told not only were we going to have twin boys, we were going to have IDENTICAL twin boys.  This means that one egg split in two, the twins share one placenta, but they each have their own sac in the placenta. 
This is a good thing, as twins who share the same sac can have a higher risk of growth restrictions-one twin could take more nutrients than the other twin.  So although having twins is higher risk than a singleton pregnancy, we were in the safer situation.

 
 

 

     We had another dinner planned with our parents to reveal the genders.  I wanted to be creative and present the results in a creative way.  So, we went to our favorite gourmet popcorn store in Franklin and ordered two bags of blueberry popcorn to symbolize the two boys.  I wrapped them in red bags with silver paper so as to not give away the secret.  We fixed a delicious homemade lasagna dinner with a wonderful dessert.  Our parents were getting more and more anxious to find out what their grandchildren were going to be, so we finally let them open up the bags.  All four of them were extremely happy to learn that we were going to be having two boys!  I know the two grandfathers were especially excited to know they would have two future farm helpers (for Brad's dad) and two future hunting buddies (for my dad).  So, Brad's parents would be Pa and Nana Alsup and my parents would be Grandpa and Nana Herndon.  We talked and talked about the future of these Alsup twins and made sure to share with everyone else we loved the good news.  What a great way to start the weekend!







No comments:

Post a Comment